6000 NW 21st Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
954-828-4955 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport is located in the heart of the City’s Uptown Business District just minutes from downtown Fort Lauderdale. Owned and operated by the City of Fort Lauderdale, Executive Airport serves a variety of general aviation needs including:
- Aircraft refueling and parking
- Corporate aviation
- Air ambulance
- Air charter
- Flight training
- Aircraft refurbishing
Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport also features an array of outstanding amenities such as:
- Five Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) that provide refueling, maintenance and other aviation services to based and visiting aircraft.
- 24-hour FAA Air Traffic Control Tower
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, daily, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- 24-hour Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting services
- 24-hour airport security
- Fort Lauderdale Police Substation
CELEBRATING 70 YEARS | THE HISTORY OF FXE
1942 - The airfield was constructed as a satellite training field the for the purpose of training military pilots during World War II. The site was called the West Prospect Satellite Field.
1947- As war surplus property, the City requested to acquire the property and it was deeded to the City with the grant assurance that the property would be used for aviation purposes.
1950’s - The airport was mostly unused until 1959 when the first structure was built, an aircraft maintenance training hangar, followed by the construction of the two stadiums that were approved by the City.
1960 ’s - General aviation operations surged. The City did not wait for the FAA to build a Tower. Instead, the City constructed an air traffic control cab on top of the baseball stadium in 1966. Four years later, the FAA took over the operations and made plans to build a Control Tower. The airport struggled to generate revenue and portions of the airport’s outlying properties/land were sold to support the Airport infrastructure improvement projects. The selling of the properties attracted industry businesses to the area and created jobs. Airport Security Police Patrol was established.
1970’s - By the beginning of the 70s, the Airport adopted a land-lease only policy to ensure self-sustainability and to prevent further loss of land with a potential source of consistent revenue. The current Control Tower was built by the FAA. The City constructed a U.S. Customs building and ramp. Fire station to serve the Airport was built and a maintenance building to house airfield equipment. Became designated by the FAA as a super reliever airport and approved to receive an Instrument Landing System for precision approaches enhancing the safety of general aviation aircraft operating at FXE.
1980’s - The Airport began to operate without a loss. Jets operators began to base their operations at FXE. 500 based aircraft, 3000 employees, $42 million payroll. First Master Plan and Part 150 Noise Study was conducted. The Control Tower became 24-hours.
1990’s - The Airport fully paid back its loans and debt to the City with interest and generated a profit. The Airport installed the world’s first fully integrated Airport Noise Operations & Monitoring System (ANOMS) and officially created the Noise Abatement Program. Airport received approval to design and construct the Aircraft Observation Area for the community to view aircraft arriving and departing the Airport. The Airport does not receive any local tax dollars. The Airport is completely self-sustaining from land leases and aircraft fuel flowage fees. The City does receive State and Federal grants generated from Federal excise taxes on aviation fuel.
2000’s - Airport Operations peaked in 2000 at 259,876 annually. The Airport initiated and facilitated the establishment of the Foreign Trade Zone #241, an economic tool to benefit to businesses conducting import and export operations. $30.5 million of Airfield Safety Improvement projects were completed over the decade. In addition, infrastructure improvements were made and the development of the aviation property became fully developed. The entire electrical system, airfield lighting, signage and markings were updated and enhanced. The Downtown Helistop and the Airport Administration Building were built; a new Fire Station was constructed with a hazardous materials unit, training facility, and City Emergency Operations Center (EOC). The Airport received the FAA’s
2010’s - The Airport was awarded the FDOT’s Community Airport of the Year award. A new Aviation Equipment & Service Facility building was constructed and designed as the first Leadership in Energy Environmental Design (LEED) certified building for the City. The City and communities at large have benefited from the Airport’s economic impact, with a total impact of $815,788,400; 5,090 employees; and $176,202,500 payroll, per the FDOT 2010 Aviation Economic Impact Study. There are 700 based aircraft with over 100 jets.